The charming city of Grand Junction is in the middle of Colorado. It is a treasure trove of interesting things to do and see for travelers of all kinds. Whether you like to try new things, learn about history, eat good food, or appreciate art, Grand Junction has something special for you. Come with us on this detailed trip as we show you the best things to do in Grand Junction, Colorado.
Top 10 Best Things to Do in Grand Junction, Colorado
1. Powderhorn Mountain Resort
Address: 48338 Powderhorn Rd, Mesa, CO 81643
Powderhorn Mountain Resort is a paradise for people who like to do winter sports. It has powdery slopes and endless fun. This resort is in the Grand Mesa and has skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. It’s a great place for both experienced athletes and people who are just starting out. The beautiful alpine scenery makes every run feel like a little bit of magic, and the cozy lodges are the perfect place to relax after skiing.
2. Cross Orchards Historic Site
Address: 3073 F Rd, Grand Junction, CO 81504
At the Cross Orchards Historic Site, people can really feel like they are living in the past. This living history farm shows off the agricultural history of the area through guided tours and hands-on exhibits that take you back in time. Experience what life was like for early settlers, look around old buildings, and learn about how farming was done in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
3. James M. Robb Colorado River State Park
Address: 595 31 3/10 Rd, Clifton, CO 81520
At James M. Robb Colorado River State Park, people who like nature and water can find peace. With its five different sections, the park is a great place to camp, fish, boat, and have a picnic while looking at the beautiful Colorado River. It’s a great place to relax and get back in touch with nature because it’s quiet and has beautiful views.
Address: Palisade, CO 81526
Palisade is a charming town that is just east of Grand Junction. It is known for its many orchards and vineyards. Explore local wineries, try wine tastings, and taste the area’s famous peaches to go on a culinary adventure. The Palisade Fruit and Wine Byway takes you on a delicious trip through beautiful scenery. It is a great mix of culture and food.
5. Colorado National Monument
Address: Rim Rock Dr, Fruita, CO 81521
The Colorado National Monument is a treasure trove of geological wonders and a real work of art by nature. Awe-inspiring red rock formations, deep canyons, and rough terrain make the outdoors a great place to explore. You can get amazing views from the Rim Rock Drive, or you can hike through the park’s network of trails to get up close and personal with its beautiful features.
6. Canyon View Park
Address: 730 24 Rd, Grand Junction, CO 81505
Canyon View Park is a place where people of all ages can relax and play. Play a round of disc golf, let your kids run around in the playgrounds, or just take a stroll along one of the paved paths. The park is high up, so it has great views of the city and the area around it. This makes it a great place to have a picnic and enjoy the beauty of Grand Junction.
7. Downtown Grand Junction
Address: Main St, Grand Junction, CO 81501
The downtown area of Grand Junction is where most of the city’s arts and culture happen. As you walk through the streets, you can stop at cute shops, art galleries, and local restaurants. The First Friday Art Walks are a great way to get involved in the local arts scene. You can meet artists, listen to live music, and enjoy the lively atmosphere of the city.
8. Two Rivers Winery
Address: 2087 Broadway, Grand Junction, CO 81507
At Two Rivers Winery, where elegance meets the rich flavors of the area, you can take your wine tasting to a new level. The beautiful setting of the winery among vineyards and gardens makes it a peaceful place to try their excellent wines. Take a guided tour to learn about the process of making wine and enjoy a tasting of the best of Grand Junction’s viticulture.
9. Dominguez Canyon
Address: Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area, Whitewater, CO 81527
Dominguez Canyon is a beautiful place where you can get away from the crowds and have an adventure. Hike through beautiful canyons, find petroglyphs from long ago, and rest in the shade of cottonwood trees. It’s a great place to watch birds, take pictures, and get back in touch with nature because it has many different ecosystems and a calm atmosphere.
10. Grand Mesa
Address: Grand Mesa, CO 81643
The Grand Mesa is the world’s largest flat-topped mountain, and its alpine wonders call to visitors. The Grand Mesa is a great place to go hiking and fishing in the summer and cross-country skiing and snowmobiling in the winter. As you explore this alpine playground, you’ll see beautiful lakes, dense forests, and breathtaking views.
Adventure Awaits in the Outdoors
Grand Junction’s outdoor playground offers a myriad of activities that cater to adventurers of all kinds. From thrilling escapades to serene natural beauty, the city has it all.
1. Traverse the Trails
Grand Junction’s expansive trail network invites exploration for hikers, bikers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all levels. The following five trails showcase the diverse landscapes and natural beauty of the region:
- Monument Canyon Trail: This iconic trail winds through the Colorado National Monument, revealing awe-inspiring red rock formations and panoramic vistas that are sure to leave you mesmerized.
- Palisade Rim Trail: Embark on a challenging hike that rewards you with breathtaking views of the Grand Valley and Palisade. The rugged terrain and stunning overlooks make it a favorite among hikers seeking a memorable adventure.
- Grand Mesa Trails: The Grand Mesa is a playground for outdoor lovers, offering a multitude of trails for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. Explore the picturesque landscapes, serene lakes, and alpine meadows that define this natural wonder.
- Mount Garfield Trail: Conquer the summit of Mount Garfield for a rewarding hike that offers sweeping panoramic views of the Grand Valley and the iconic Book Cliffs. The trail’s steep ascent is well worth the breathtaking vistas that await.
- Devil’s Kitchen Trail: Located within the Colorado National Monument, this trail leads you to the intriguing rock formation known as Devil’s Kitchen. The unique geological features and sweeping views make it a must-visit for nature enthusiasts.
2. The Great Outdoors
Grand Junction’s unique location near rivers, canyons, and mountains provides an array of outdoor activities for every season:
- Colorado River Rafting: Embark on an exhilarating rafting adventure down the Colorado River. Experience the rush of adrenaline as you navigate thrilling rapids and take in the serene beauty of the surrounding landscapes.
- Fishing in Gunnison River: Fishing enthusiasts will find a paradise along the Gunnison River. Cast your line into its pristine waters and try your luck at catching trout, salmon, and other native fish species.
- Camping in the Wilderness: Immerse yourself in nature by camping amidst the stunning landscapes surrounding Grand Junction. Whether you’re pitching a tent or parking an RV, there are numerous campgrounds to choose from.
- Rock Climbing: Challenge your skills and conquer the natural rock faces that dot the Grand Junction area. Riggs Hill and Unaweep Canyon offer opportunities for climbers of varying skill levels.
- Scenic Drives: Experience the beauty of Grand Junction and its surroundings through scenic drives. The renowned Rim Rock Drive within the Colorado National Monument and the breathtaking Grand Mesa Scenic Byway showcase the region’s diverse landscapes.
Grand Junction’s vibrant cultural scene is as diverse as its natural wonders. Immerse yourself in the city’s rich history and artistic expressions:
- Museum of the West: Delve into the history of the American West at the Museum of the West. Through engaging exhibits, learn about Native American heritage, exploration history, and the cowboy way of life that shaped the region.
- Art on Main Street: Explore downtown Grand Junction’s lively art scene, featuring numerous galleries and cultural spaces. Don’t miss the First Friday Art Walks, where you can engage with local artists and experience a variety of artistic styles.
- Avalon Theatre: Immerse yourself in the performing arts by attending live theater performances and events at the historic Avalon Theatre. From plays to concerts, the venue offers a diverse range of entertainment options.
- Western Colorado Center for the Arts: Discover a diverse collection of visual arts at the Western Colorado Center for the Arts. Engage with the works of local and regional artists through exhibitions, workshops, and community events.
- Dinosaur Journey Museum: Unearth the prehistoric past of the region at the Dinosaur Journey Museum. Interactive exhibits and displays offer insights into the dinosaurs that once roamed the area, providing an educational and engaging experience for visitors of all ages.
Savor the Flavors of Grand Junction
Grand Junction’s culinary scene is a fusion of local flavors and global influences, offering a delightful journey for your taste buds.
1. Farmers’ Markets and Local Produce
- Downtown Farmers’ Market: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the Downtown Farmers’ Market, where you can indulge in locally grown produce, artisanal goods, and live music. Engage with local farmers and artisans while enjoying a true farm-to-table experience.
- Farm-to-Table Dining: Experience the farm-to-table movement firsthand at Grand Junction’s various restaurants that prioritize locally sourced ingredients. Indulge in dishes that highlight the region’s agricultural bounty and culinary creativity.
- Palisade Peach Festival: Join the celebration of the region’s famous Palisade peaches at the Palisade Peach Festival. This annual event features peach tastings, contests, live entertainment, and family-friendly activities.
- Orchard Tours: Take guided tours of orchards and vineyards in the region. Experience the joy of picking your own fruits and learn about the cultivation processes that produce the area’s signature flavors.
- Food and Wine Pairing: Elevate your culinary experience by participating in food and wine pairings at local wineries. Sample exquisite wines and savor dishes that are expertly crafted to complement each flavor profile.
2. The Grand Valley Wine Experience
- Grand Valley Wine Trail: Embark on a wine-tasting adventure along the Grand Valley Wine Trail, which showcases a variety of wineries and tasting rooms. Discover the nuances of locally produced wines while soaking in the stunning vineyard landscapes.
- Wine Festivals: Immerse yourself in the region’s wine culture by attending local wine festivals, such as the Colorado Mountain Winefest. Celebrate the art of winemaking, sample a diverse selection of wines, and engage with fellow wine enthusiasts.
- Winery Tours: Gain insights into the winemaking process by taking guided tours of renowned wineries. Learn about the art of viticulture, from grape cultivation to barrel aging, while experiencing the passion behind each bottle.
- Wine and Art Pairing: Enjoy a unique fusion of wine and art at wineries that showcase local artists’ works alongside their wine offerings. Indulge in visual and sensory pleasures as you appreciate both artistic expressions.
- Wine and Cheese Tastings: Elevate your wine-tasting experience by participating in wine and cheese tastings. Delight in the harmonious pairing of local wines with artisanal cheeses, enhancing the flavors of both.
Exploring Grand Junction with Ease
Navigating Grand Junction is a breeze, thanks to various convenient transportation options.
- Bike Rentals: Embrace the city’s bike-friendly culture by renting a bike and exploring its well-maintained bike paths and scenic trails. Pedal your way through urban streets and natural landscapes.
- Public Transportation: Utilize the Grand Valley Transit system, a sustainable way to travel around the city and access its attractions. Convenient routes and schedules ensure easy exploration for visitors.
Planning Your Grand Junction Getaway
No matter your passion, whether it’s adventure, culture, food, or nature, Grand Junction promises an unforgettable journey. With its diverse array of activities, rich culture, and breathtaking landscapes, the city invites you to create memories that will last a lifetime.