Welcome to Nashville, also known as Music City! This vibrant city in Tennessee has a rich history and culture, making it a popular destination for travelers from all over the world. In this blog post, we’ll share some of the top things to do in Nashville, including its history and culture, top attractions, food and drinks, shopping, accommodation, and how to get around.
A Rich History and Culture
Nashville, Tennessee is a city steeped in history and culture. From its founding in 1779 to its role in the Civil War, Nashville has played an important part in shaping the United States. But what makes this city truly special is its unique blend of Southern hospitality, music, and tradition.
Nashville’s history dates back to the late 1700s, when it was founded by James Robertson and John Donelson. The city grew rapidly over the next few decades, becoming an important center for trade and commerce in the region. During the Civil War, Nashville played a significant role as a transportation hub for the Confederacy.
Today, Nashville is known as Music City, and for good reason. The city has a rich musical heritage, with country, blues, and rock ‘n’ roll all having deep roots here. Many of the biggest names in music have called Nashville home, including Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, and Johnny Cash. The city is home to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, which features exhibits on the history of country music and its artists.
But Nashville’s culture extends far beyond music. The city is also home to many museums, historical sites, and cultural events. One of the most popular attractions is the Ryman Auditorium, a famous concert hall that was once home to the Grand Ole Opry. The Frist Art Museum is another must-see, featuring rotating exhibits of contemporary art.
Nashville is also known for its food, with hot chicken being a local specialty. But there’s much more to Nashville’s culinary scene than just fried chicken. The city has a thriving restaurant scene, with a focus on farm-to-table and Southern cuisine. You can find everything from classic meat and three plates to innovative fusion dishes.
Top Attractions in Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee is a city full of attractions and activities to suit every interest. From music to history to food, there’s no shortage of things to do in this vibrant Southern city. Here are just a few of the top attractions you won’t want to miss:
- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum: If you’re a fan of country music, this is the place for you. Explore the history of country music through interactive exhibits, artifacts, and special events.
- Ryman Auditorium: Known as the “Mother Church of Country Music,” the Ryman is a must-see for music lovers. Take a tour of this iconic concert hall and learn about its history as the home of the Grand Ole Opry.
- Belle Meade Plantation: Step back in time at this historic plantation, which dates back to the 1800s. Take a tour of the mansion, stroll through the gardens, and learn about the lives of the people who lived and worked here.
- Cheekwood Estate & Gardens: This stunning estate features art galleries, a museum, and 55 acres of manicured gardens. It’s the perfect place to relax and soak up the beauty of Nashville’s natural surroundings.
- The Parthenon: Believe it or not, Nashville is home to a full-scale replica of the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. Take a tour of this impressive structure and learn about its history and significance.
- Johnny Cash Museum: Pay homage to one of Nashville’s most beloved musicians at this museum dedicated to the life and legacy of Johnny Cash. See artifacts, memorabilia, and interactive exhibits that bring the Man in Black’s story to life.
- Nashville Zoo: This family-friendly attraction is home to over 2,700 animals from all over the world. From giraffes to meerkats to red pandas, there’s no shortage of cute and fascinating creatures to see.
Food and Drinks
When it comes to food and drink, Nashville is a city that knows how to deliver. From classic Southern cuisine to innovative cocktails, there’s something for every palate in Music City. Here are just a few of the top spots to try:
- Hot chicken: Nashville’s signature dish is a spicy fried chicken that’s not for the faint of heart. Hattie B’s and Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack are two of the most popular spots to try this fiery delicacy.
- BBQ: Tennessee is known for its barbecue, and Nashville is no exception. Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint and Peg Leg Porker are two of the best places to get your fix of smoked meats.
- Biscuits: If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast or brunch, head to Loveless Cafe for some of the best biscuits in town. They’re served with homemade jam and honey, and are the perfect way to start your day.
- Craft cocktails: Nashville’s cocktail scene is thriving, with bars like The Patterson House and The Fox Bar & Cocktail Club serving up innovative drinks made with local ingredients. Try a whiskey-based cocktail to get a taste of Tennessee’s most famous spirit.
- Beer: Nashville has a booming craft beer scene, with breweries like Yazoo and Bearded Iris producing some of the best brews in the South. Stop by their taprooms for a tasting or a tour.
- Southern sweets: Finish off your meal with a sweet treat from one of Nashville’s dessert spots. The Goo Goo Cluster is a local favorite, with its combination of chocolate, caramel, peanuts, and marshmallow. Or try a slice of pie from The Pie Wagon or The Loveless Cafe.
Nashville is a shopper’s paradise, with a variety of stores and boutiques offering everything from high-end designer clothing to locally-made crafts. Here are a few of the top spots to check out:
- The Gulch: This trendy neighborhood is home to a variety of boutiques and specialty stores, including Two Old Hippies for boho-inspired clothing and accessories, and Lucchese for custom-made cowboy boots.
- Hillsboro Village: This charming neighborhood near Vanderbilt University is a great place to find unique gifts and souvenirs. Check out A Thousand Faces for handmade jewelry and pottery, or Pangaea for eclectic home decor.
- 12 South: This neighborhood is known for its trendy shops and restaurants, including Draper James, Reese Witherspoon’s Southern-inspired clothing and accessories store. Other must-visit shops include Imogene + Willie for handmade denim and White’s Mercantile for eclectic gifts and home decor.
- The Mall at Green Hills: If you’re looking for high-end designer brands, this upscale mall is the place to go. With stores like Louis Vuitton, Tory Burch, and Nordstrom, you’re sure to find something to splurge on.
- Opry Mills: This outlet mall is a bargain hunter’s dream, with over 200 stores offering discounts on everything from clothing to electronics. Don’t miss the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World for all your outdoor gear needs.
When it comes to accommodation in Nashville, you have plenty of options to choose from. From luxurious hotels to cozy bed and breakfasts, there’s something for every budget and style. Here are a few of the top picks:
- The Hermitage Hotel: This historic hotel in downtown Nashville is a favorite among visitors and locals alike. With its elegant decor and luxurious amenities, including a spa and gourmet restaurant, it’s the perfect place to indulge in a little luxury.
- The Thompson Nashville: This boutique hotel in the trendy Gulch neighborhood is a great choice for those who want to be in the heart of the action. It features chic decor, a rooftop bar, and a restaurant by a James Beard Award-winning chef.
- The Germantown Inn: This cozy bed and breakfast in the charming Germantown neighborhood offers a more intimate and personalized experience. Each room is uniquely decorated with antique furnishings, and guests can enjoy a gourmet breakfast each morning.
- The Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center: If you’re looking for a resort-style experience, the Gaylord Opryland is the way to go. This sprawling property features lush gardens, multiple restaurants and bars, and even an indoor river with boat tours.
- Airbnb: For those who want a more homey experience, renting an Airbnb is a great option. There are plenty of options throughout the city, from cozy apartments to spacious houses, and you can often find great deals.
Navigating a new city can be daunting, but luckily, getting around Nashville is relatively easy. Here are a few tips to help you get around with ease:
- Ride-sharing: Uber and Lyft are both available in Nashville, and they’re a convenient way to get around the city, especially if you don’t want to deal with parking or navigating public transportation. Just download the app, enter your destination, and you’re good to go.
- Public transportation: Nashville has a bus system, as well as a light rail line called the Music City Star that connects downtown Nashville to nearby suburbs. While public transportation may not be as convenient as ride-sharing, it can be a cost-effective option for getting around.
- Biking and walking: If you’re looking for a more active way to explore the city, Nashville has plenty of bike lanes and pedestrian-friendly areas. B-cycle bike rentals are available throughout the city, and there are plenty of parks and greenways to explore.
- Car rental: If you plan on venturing outside of the city, renting a car is a great option. There are plenty of car rental agencies located throughout Nashville, and having your own vehicle will give you the flexibility to explore at your own pace.
- Trolley tours: For a more touristy experience, consider taking a trolley tour of the city. These tours are a great way to see the top sights and learn more about Nashville’s history and culture.
Nashville truly is a one-of-a-kind city that has so much to offer visitors. From the honky-tonks of Lower Broadway to the historic landmarks and museums, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. And let’s not forget about the amazing food and drinks – hot chicken, barbecue, and craft beer are just a few of the culinary highlights you’ll find in Music City. Whether you’re here for a weekend or a longer stay, we hope our guide has given you some inspiration for your trip to Nashville. So what are you waiting for? Come on down and experience all the magic that Music City has to offer!
READ MORE HERE: Top Things to Do in Nashville